Good Samaritans

With moments of grace (shall we just call them by their initials - that would make this a MOG blog.), I think of good Samaritans. It seems like every time I get a flat tire, some stranger appears right on the scene and fixes it for me. These are the angels or good Samaritans that come into my life. Those who may not be familiar with the biblical story, a man is robbed and beat up by robbers and left to die. First a rabbi passes by and doesn't help him. Then comes a Pharisee, also high in the Jewish faith, and he to ignores the man. Then a Samaritan, considered a mixed breed that Jews segregate themselves from, comes by and has mercy on the man and takes him to lodging where he treats the man's wounds and leaves money for any other needs the man might have.

I lived a bit of this story (though not as bloody or dramatic) when I enrolled my son in a new school. The only problem was he was on a waiting list for After School Care. Being a working mom I asked my neighbor whose child went to the same school if she could give my son a lift home. Her answer surprised me. She told me that her girls were so busy that she had to keep them on their schedules, so she couldn't do so. I was dumbfounded. All she had to do was drop him off on her way home, not even go out of her way like I had numerous times driving her children home. What got me most of all was this woman was a Pastor's wife.

I was stuck, not knowing what to do. I found myself talking to another mother awaiting her son. Her son was a 4th grader too and new to the school. I told her about my plight to which she told me my son could play with her son until I could pick him up. Here she was, someone I didn’t know from Adam, a stranger, but like the Samaritan she came to my aid. So we arranged an after school play date for our boys and all was well until I got a flat tire on the way to pick up my son. I walked the rest of the way to her house (this was before cell phones) where she called Triple A and drove me back to my car to wait for them. Meanwhile our boys were swinging their backpacks at each other and my son’s straps broke. No problem she told me, she had an extra and she went home to bring it back to me. Her goodness overwhelmed me. God provided a Good Samaritan for me that day, a wonderful moment of grace.

So, can you think of any good Samaritans in your own life? Please fill free to share by adding a comment. If you want to be notified of when I write a new entry please push the “follow by email button.” This and the follow buttons can be accessed by pushing the 3 lines on the top of the blog, which will bring up my profile and these options.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

MJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Join Me on a Lenten Journey

Setting Your Hope in God

Do What they Teach, Not What they Do