Let’s create understanding between the generations with:
Mothers/ Daughters or Grandmothers/Granddaughters
reading historical fiction together
to appreciate generational perspectives.

I was in a store rocking to some 70s music when another woman my age joined me. I confessed that I was writing a Young Adult book set in the 70s, and she lit up saying that she would love to read it along with her granddaughter. Thus the seed was planted of having mother/daughter-grandmother/granddaughter reading historical fiction together.

Then I found myself reading the book, The Atomic City Girls, by Janet Beard which told about the women who unknowingly worked on the atom bomb. I have a strong connection to this event since my father in World War II was a young corpsman (doctor’s assistant) and one of the first over to help the people after the Nagasaki bombing. As I read, I discovered how guilty the scientists who created the bomb felt, and I began to wonder how my own father, who experienced the results directly, felt about it. 

Sadly he passed away 20 years ago, so I called my mom. Turns out she had read the same book, so I asked her my question. Her response was that everyone did their duty for the war effort. He, however, did not drop the bomb, but he was there to help the people in Nagasaki.

The more we talked, this Baby Boomer understood my mother’s GI generation. Well, what can I say, my idea of a way generations could learn from each other sprouted.

Please help me give root to this cause by volunteering to:
  • Commit to read Lone Falcon with your daughter or granddaughter.
  • Commit to an hour where you both share your inputs regarding the book.
  •  Mother/Grandmothers who lived during the 70s, share your own feelings and experiences you had during this decade. 
  • Daughters/Granddaughters compare and contrast your experiences today with Carrie in Lone Falcon.
  • For both:
·        What if anything inspired you or made you understand something better?
·        What did you learn about each other’s generation you didn’t know before?


Write them down or email to MJ Buist and I will share them on my blog and you will be one of the first to be able to purchase the sequel, Lone Choices.

mjbuist@anaheimumc.org
1000 S State College Blvd
Anaheim, CA 92806

*****First 5 to respond to this will receive a free copy of Lone Falcon************

Thank you for being part of this cause.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting Your Hope in God

Do What they Teach, Not What they Do

Join Me on a Lenten Journey