My Interview on tabithabouldinauthor blog

What about writing do you love?

I regard writing as a ministry. I love when people say my writing really made them think, since I strive to have my readers learn something or see another point of view. I love creating stories and characters with situations the reader can wrestle along with – where they can decide what solution they would choose, yet also understand the character’s decision. In this way I aim to bring a greater openness and acceptance to my readers.
When I started writing Lone Falcon in college, I wanted to write a book about standing up for your own convictions, and not conform to what your friends and society tell you to do. In Lone Choices, I loved exploring all the choices women make, the consequences they may face, but the redemption the Lord can bring. Presently, I feel called to write about the plight of women in Africa. So my third book in the Lone series will bring light to the global suffering of women.

REPORT THIS AD

Do you end up doing research for every book?
I did a lot of research for the crew team parts of Lone Falcon. I read The Idiots Guide to Rowing and other rowing books. I interviewed coaches and women who rowed around that time. I even took a rowing class on the water and survived!
I worked hard to verify historical dates such as Billy Jean King’s victory over Bobby Riggs and the Roe Vs Wade decision, to make sure they meshed with Carrie’s college years. It was important for me to discuss the new choices women were offered in the 70s because of these events.
I would love to write a book where no research was required!

What is your process for coming up with a title?

The title for Lone Falcon came to me out of the blue. I wanted Carrie to be a lone bird since she would make her own unpopular decision at the end. Shortening her name Falconer also worked nicely. I had no title for the sequel until one day it broke through. I was not only writing about Carrie’s decision, but about the girls she worked with. Since most of the choices we make as adults are made by ourselves alone, I explored what sets aside the choices women make. Thus the word ‘choice’ was added to the continuing Lone theme with Lone Choices.

How do you develop your characters? Do you use character charts?

I began Lone Falcon by writing up motivations for each of my characters. On my very first draft I would write: “a teammate asked.” My friend editing at the time wrote: “Name?” It was then I realized that I had to come up with eight names with distinct personalities.
Carrie’s best friend Jan was easy, but the rest I came up with by having the coach give each of them nicknames. For example, “Boston” is a girl from back East who wants to show the elite from her hometown that the West Coast can do just as well, if not better, in crew. When the coach didn’t come up with a nickname for Carrie at first, it was quite dramatic when he then bursts out to the men’s coach, “That my dear man is my Lone Falcon.”

Do you think you have any writing quirks?

I still do a lot of the old school writing in longhand, believing it accesses a more creative part of the brain.
Since I am writing in the 70s’ time frame, I confess, I listen to a lot of music from that decade as I write. It took me so back to my high school and college days that when one of my students made a sly comment about what I was wearing, all my “uncool girl” insecurities hit me again. I’m sure these feelings found their way into my character Carrie. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting Your Hope in God

Do What they Teach, Not What they Do

Join Me on a Lenten Journey