Buist Christmas Newsletter 2021

 

Buist Christmas Newsletter 2021

 

This year has truly been one of joy for the Buist family. As I compare the Covid year with now, I’m amazed how much busier we’ve been. Let me share some of our blessings.

It has been wonderful to return to my church work in person and have regular worship services. I was able to preach twice on our video recorded services in January and in person in July. I will be preaching on December 26th. I can now finally visit people. We kept the Tuesday night book study I lead during Covid through Conference calls, then on Zoom, and now meet in person. We’ve become a very close group.

One of my greatest joys in my ministry this year has been doing a weekly worship service at a Board and Care called Addie’s Cottage. Each Wednesday I read scripture, give a short sermon, sing worship songs, and do prayer. It is the highlight of my week – what can be better than preaching and singing!

I did some virtual substituting in the Spring and Summer and now am doing it in person one to two days a week. It is hard to be running a slide show while controlling class behavior without a mute button. I also started an exercise problem three days a week during Covid and have managed to keep it up.

In terms of my writing, I’m enjoying my Critique group that meets every other week. It gives me a deadline and great advice. I’m working on the second draft of the third book in my Lone series, Grace aLone. I was so hoping to do mission work in Africa since half of the book is about a missionary doctor there. But alas, Covid and a volcano eruption have kept me away. I’ve also been doing a weekly blog on the “sermonettes” I give at the Board and Care. Check out my blog at:  mjwbnewletterblogspot.com.

In June I was able to fly up to Seattle for my Mom’s Memorial Gathering, held on the one-year anniversary of her death. It was just family, and I was able to see my brothers and sister, their spouses, and children. A lovely slide show of Mom’s life was created by Edna, Mark’s wife. We had a wonderful meal and it was great catching up with each other. I had a delightful lunch with my dear friend, Ruth Brown, and my family threw a Friday night picnic get together in my honor.

I stayed at my brother Brian and his wife Terri. I will always have fond memories of drinking wine on their balcony having enjoyable conversation. Though I can’t go home to the house I grew up in, Brian’s house reminds me of it with its lush greenery.

When I returned to California, I finally found the car of my dreams in the golden yellow color I wanted. It is a 2017 Hyundai Veloster and I love driving around in it. The church folk accuse me of having a yellow wardrobe to match.


 




John turned 29 this year and has been working for Fed X for five years now. He and his girlfriend took a trip to Catalina Island this year. We are blessed by John’s cooking abilities as he makes dinner for us.

Since I have my new car, I was able to give Benjamin my Matrix. He got his license this year and now I hardly see him. Big news is he got a job working at Mo’s Deli, a sandwich shop. He works thirty hours a week as the order taker and cashier. He, too, has a girlfriend and has a Dungeon and Dragons group over twice a week to play their game. He’s turned 23 and has been to Disneyland twice, loving having money to spend.

Another with new money to spend is Don who turned 70 this year and is finally receiving Social Security. Janet and he have closed their business, so he has been working hard redoing our front yard with a retaining wall, pavers, and planters and, eventually even grass.

Another great blessing is having you in our lives. I pray that you are safe and healthy and are enjoying the joys of the season. May you have a blessed new year.

 

MJ for Don, John, and Benjamin Buist

 

P.S. A few more gratitudes:

·         A new heat and air conditioning system

·         Crocheting and cross-stitching gifts for friends

·         Being in a warm house on a rainy day

·         A former Sunday school student who now helps me teach Sunday school

·         Cards galore on my birthday and Christmas

·         Extra pay for substitutes on certain days

·         Friends who ask me to lunch

·         Encouragement in my writing

·         The love and support of my church family

·        A job of ministry, which I love

·         Good books to read and study

·         Two healthy sons who are both working

·         You reading this newsletter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Join Me on a Lenten Journey

Setting Your Hope in God

Do What they Teach, Not What they Do